Milestone’s Accessibility Policy
Milestone Investment Counsel Inc. (Milestone) is committed to meeting its ongoing obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code respecting non-discrimination.
Milestone understands that obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and its accessibility standards do not substitute or limit its obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code or obligations to people with disabilities under any other law.
Milestone is committed to complying with both the Ontario Human Rights Code and the AODA.
“Accessible formats” may include, but are not limited to, large print, recorded audio and electronic formats, braille and other formats usable by persons with disabilities; (“format accessible”)
“Barriers” are circumstances or obstacles that keep people apart. For people with disabilities, barriers can take many forms including attitudinal, communication, physical, policy, programmatic, social, and transportation.
“Communication supports” may include, but are not limited to, captioning, alternative and augmentative communication supports, plain language, sign language and other supports that facilitate effective communications; (“aides à la communication”)
“Disability” is a physical or mental condition that limits a person’s movements, senses, or activities. The AODA uses the same definition of disability as the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Milestone is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities.
Our approach to customer service is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity for people with disabilities. The main components are:
- Assistive devices: people with disabilities may use their personal assistive devices when accessing our services.
In cases where the assistive device presents a significant and unavoidable health or safety concern or may not be permitted for other reasons, other measures will be used to ensure the person with a disability can access our services.
- Communication: we will communicate with people with disabilities respectfully, in ways that take into account their disability. This may include the following:
- Identify oneself when approaching;
- Speak directly to the customer, not to their support person (if applicable);
- Ask before offering assistance; and
- Be patient, do not interrupt or attempt to finish the customer’s sentences
We will work with the person with a disability to determine what method of communication works for them.
- Service animals: we welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
- Support persons: a person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises.
- Training: Milestone will provide accessible customer service training on an ongoing basis to all employees, including Milestone’s management team who develop company policies
- Temporary disruption: in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities Milestone will notify clients expected in the office to reschedule or agree an alternate meeting place. Services/Facilities include:
- Wheelchair ramp at the Berkeley Street entrance
- Ramp beside the stairs in the lobby
- Customers and employees are welcome to provide feedback to us in person, by phone or email. Contact details are provided below and on our website www.mstone.com.
- All feedback, including complaints, will be responded to within 30 days.
- Milestone will make sure our feedback process is accessible to people with disabilities by providing communication support, on request.
Milestone investment Counsel Inc.
2 Berkeley Street, Suite 309
Toronto, ON M5A 4J5
Attention: Chief Compliance Officer – Accessibility
(416) 365-3111 – ask to speak with Milestone’s Chief Compliance Officer
email@example.com – use Subject: Accessibility